Cauliflower is having a bit of a moment right now, and I couldn’t be more thrilled because I’ve always been a fan. From roasting it on a sheet pan and serving it garnished with toasted lemony breadcrumbs, to adding it to a popular family-friendly pasta dish, this cruciferous veggie is a staple on our dinner table, and my kids have been liking it more and more with each iteration I serve up.
My boys are football fanatics, so in honour of the upcoming Super Bowl and I took some of their favourite flavours from the sports-watching snacks we typically enjoy, and gave my beloved cauliflower a little game day treatment by dousing the florets in a buffalo wing sauce and serving the roasted crispy bits with a simple blue cheese dip. The result is a healthier take on chicken wings that will please even the most die-hard fan.
Feel free to try other marinades if spicy wing sauce isn’t too your liking. I image these would be equally as tempting if bathed in a honey garlic, barbecue, or Asian-flavoured marinade.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Serves 4-6 for a snack or small side dish
For the buffalo cauliflower:
1 cup water
1 cup flour
6 cups cauliflower florets
½ cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
¼ cup butter, melted
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
For the blue cheese dip:
3 Tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
5 oz. sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450° and generously oil a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Whisk together the water and flour and season with a hefty pinch of salt. Mix until well combined.
3. Coat the cauliflower pieces with the batter, take care to shake off the excess, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until golden brown in colour.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the hot sauce, butter, and lemon juice. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and pour the hot sauce over the baking cauliflower, tossing to combine.
5. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the edges are crisp. Serve warm with the blue cheese dipping sauce.
6. To make the blue cheese dipping sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.