I’ve never been much of a morning person, but that’s especially true as we slide into late fall, when the days are short, the nights are long, and the mornings are increasingly dark.
Without the sun to nudge me out of bed, it’s all too easy to hit the snooze button a dozen times, then blearily stumble out of bed and into some (hopefully) clean clothes at the very last minute. If I’m lucky, I might have just enough time to throw some leftovers into my lunchbag as I’m dashing out the door to catch the bus.
The downside of that little routine is that I end up buying way too many crappy breakfasts.
Have you ever looked at the calorie count for a coffee shop muffin? You may as well eat cake for breakfast. (Probably because those muffins are cake.)
This year, I’ve been trying to get back into a slightly more productive morning routine. For instance, I’m picking out my outfits the night before. But most important of all, I’m stocking the fridge with some grab-and-go breakfast options so that I can skip the muffins when I buy my morning coffee.
These little egg cups fit perfectly into my little menu makeover. All that stands between me and a delicious, healthy, protein-rich breakfast is a couple of minutes in the microwave to warm everything through.
I might still hit the snooze button a few times, but at least I’m a little better prepared to face the day now. Get ready, mornings… here I come!
Quick Tip: This recipe is incredibly forgiving, so feel free to switch it up based on whatever happens to be kicking around in the fridge that needs to be eaten. As long as you’ve got 1 cup of cooked veggies and/or raw greens, ¾ cup diced cooked meat (or more vegetables, if you prefer a vegetarian version), ½ cup grated or crumbled cheese, and ½ cup chopped fresh herbs, you’re all set for a tasty breakfast treat!
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Muffins
½ lb bulk Italian sausage meat
4 whole eggs
4 egg whites
¼ cup milk
½ cup roughly chopped fresh spinach
¼ cup finely chopped cooked broccoli
¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
½ tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh chives
6 English muffins, split and toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a six-cup jumbo muffin tin, or line with silicone muffin liners.
2. In a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, brown the sausage meat until cooked all the way through, using a wooden spoon to breaking up into small bite-sized pieces as you go. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain off and cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites and milk. Add the vegetables, salt and pepper. Pour into the prepared muffin tin.
4. Divide the sausage and grated cheese evenly between the muffin cups, then finish with a sprinkle of chives.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs are lightly puffed and set in the centre. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then gently slide out with a butter knife and divide into zip-top bags for the week.
6. To reheat, microwave for 1 minute on High or until warmed through, then sandwich between the toasted English muffin halves and devour.