Oh crepes, how we love -- but are intimidated -- by you. Yes, even seasoned cooks like us can think of crepes as a complicated dish to prepare. But, recently we've come to realize that that's actually not the case. Light and delicate, crepes (which can be filled with anything you've got on hand--from whipped cream and berries, to nutella and bananas to caramelized apples with vanilla ice cream,) are actually a cinch to make, once you know the drill. Our trick? We simply think about them as a much thinner version of your regular old flapjack. Intrigued? Keep reading as we give you our top tips on how to make homemade crepes, all in the comfort of your own kitchen!
Ingredients you will need:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
Butter for melting
Essential tools you will need:
Large flat frying pan
Non-stick silicone spatula
5 Steps to making crepes:
1. Whisk your eggs in a medium bowl. The whisk in flour, sugar, milk, water, vanilla and salt, until no lumps remain. Batter should be fairly thin and fluid (not thick like traditional pancake batter.)
2. Heat a large flat pan over medium heat. Melt a knob of butter and then lift the pan off the burner. Pour in just enough crêpe batter to cover the bottom (approximately 1/2 cup,) depending on the size of your pan. Immediately swirl the pan to distribute the crêpe batter evenly across the bottom of the pan.
3. Cook the crêpe for approximately 30 seconds on the first side. Run a heatproof spatula around the edge of the crêpe, and then slowly slide the spatula down the center of the crêpe and carefully flip it over.
4. Cook crepe on the second side for another 30 seconds or so. Slide the cooked onto a heatproof plate (you can pile them on top of eachother.) et them cool a bit while you repeat the process and make more crêpes.
5. Once all of the crepes have been cooked, it is time for the filling!
- Nutella & sliced bananas
- Macerated strawberries with lemon zest and whipped cream
- Savory chicken & mushrooms
- Dusted with powdered sugar & drizzled with honey or maple syrup
- Mixed berries with custard or lemon curd
- Caramelized apples, pears or plums with Vanilla ice cream
TIP: Make a large batch and place a small piece of parchment between the crepes and freeze. Reheat easily in the oven on low heat or in the microwave for just a 20-30 seconds.