Keep entertaining right through the fall with these 5 fresh ideas.
by Lindsay Evans
Tap and hold image to save to your device
There is something about entertaining in the fall that is good for the soul. Here are some cozy entertaining ideas that embrace the spirit of fall:
- Heart Warming Drinks: Instead of going for coffee invite friends over for some heart warming fall inspired drinks. You can look at ideas such as Mexican Hot Chocolate with cinnamon and kaluha, Hot Apple Cider with spiced rum, White Hot Chocolate with mint liqueur or traditional hot drinks such as Hot Toddies or Buttered Rum. Serve some savoury snacks such as home made herbed scones with crème fraiche, assorted olives and cheeses and offer wine for those who are not as interested in the sweeter drinks. If kids are involved they can of course enjoy a virgin version in large mugs and have some yummy fall cookies such as pumpkin spice, chocolate chip and dried cranberry or ginger molasses.
- Fondue Party: Pull out the fondue set and have a 70’s inspired fondue party. You can do a traditional cheese fondue complete with kirsch and cubes of rustic bread or do a meat fondue with different dips. Set the fondue up on a coffee table in front of a blazing fire with plenty of comfy cushions tossed on the floor and pair the food with wines to match the cheese or meat you serve.
- Fall Leaves Picnic: Invite people to join you on a drive through the country and end up at a favourite park for a picnic. Weather tends to stay warmer into October and even November making a picnic a perfect idea. Pack warm drinks in thermos, warm blankets and pillows and then prepare a fall inspired meal. You can fill individual thermos with easy to sip, velvety smooth soups such as squash or creamy tomato. Make some hearty sandwiches with thick slabs of cheese and meats that are robust such as well aged salami. Bring fresh pears, apples, high quality dark chocolate and some home made cookies to complete the meal.
- Appletainment: Fall is the season of the apple and in Ontario apples are abundant and flavourful. Consider doing something different such as an apple tasting where you offer various, less common apple varieties to try with cheeses and wine. Offer up a complete apple themed meal complete with a perfectly roasted pork loin roasted over apple chunks and cider, a yummy squash and apple soup, an old school Waldorf salad with apples and walnuts and finish with any number of apple desserts from crumbles and pies to strudels and caramel apple cake.
- Fall Outdoor Grill: Summer does not have to mean an end to the grilling season. Look at a menu rich with the flavours of the fall harvest including squash and grilled beets, sweet potatoes and root veggies. Consider slow roasting beef tenderloin, pork roast or some Cornish hens. Add a touch of exotic flavours with Clementine orange or pomegranate glazes. Grill home made pizzas as an appetizer with fresh figs, caramelized onions and camembert or blue cheese. Complete the meal with a grilled fruit dessert served with warm sabayon or custard sauce.
Fall entertaining gives you the opportunity to create memories, snuggle up with drinks near a warm fire or experience nature in the company of close friends.