Psst...we have a little secret for creating fast and fresh weeknight meals: A rotisserie chicken. If you didn't know it already, your local grocery store has gone to the trouble of getting dinner halfway done for you! Now that the hard part is done, all that is left for you to do is pick up a rotisserie chicken on your way home and whip up one of these 5 fast and fresh dishes. We think everything in life should be this easy.
1. Fried Rice: Prepare four servings of rice. While the rice is cooking cube the rotisserie chicken, dice an onion and grate fresh ginger and garlic. Add oil to the pan and sauté the onions, garlic and ginger until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add a half cup of frozen peas and sauté until bright green. Scramble two eggs and add to pan, breaking up into small bits with a wooden spoon. Stir in the diced chicken and cooked rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add a couple tablespoons each of teryaki and soy sauce to taste stirring until evenly coated. Scoop into bowls and sprinkle with thinly sliced green onions.
2. Quick Thai Noodles: Prepare rice noodles and set aside. Chop up chicken and sauté with fresh ginger and garlic. Add two eggs beaten and sauté as above. Add rice noodles and your favourite peanut sauce until heated through. Sprinkle with crushed peanuts and fresh chopped green onion.
3. Easy Chicken Nachos: Place tortilla chips on a cookie tray. Chop rotisserie chicken and heat in a pan with your favourite salsa. Spread chicken over chips and add your favourite toppings such as green onion, jalapenos, green peppers, chopped tomatoes, etc. Finish with plenty of grated cheese and place under broiler until bubbly and melted. Serve with guacamole, salsa and sour cream.
→ Love Mexican food? Check out our quick and easy recipe for cheesy chicken and avocado quesadillas here!
4. Cobb Salad Sandwiches: Fry four slices of bacon and toast two slices of bread per person. Shred chicken and place on toast with lettuce, tomato, avocado slices and mayo. Top with bacon. Serve with sweet potato fries.
5. Chicken Pot Pie: Dice rotisserie chicken. Chop carrots and potatoes into bite size pieces and simmer with frozen peas, a pinch of salt and a bay leaf until just tender. Add chicken and leftover gravy (or premade gravy) and heat through. Season with salt and pepper and pour into a small buttered casserole dish. Roll out a sheet of store-bought puff pastry and drape over top of casserole dish pressing to sides to seal. Beat an egg with 1 tsp water and brush over top of pastry. Using a sharp pairing knife, cut 2 to 3 slits in top of pastry. Bake at 350 F until crust is golden and flakey. Serve with additional gravy if desired.
→ Check out our 5 Ways with Roast Beef here!