So it’s the beginning of the year again, which means it's time for healthy eating, ramping up your exercise routine and yada yada yada. We all know we have to do it, but sometimes it can be hard to inspire yourself to make healthy changes and stick to your resolutions. So, we thought you may need some help (if you're looking to do it right). We've rounded-up 8 kitchen tools our team says they can't live without when it comes to healthy food prep:
1. Indoor Grill: Really, who wants to BBQ outside in the snow? It seems anyone who has an indoor grill, says they could never live without it. So, whether it's a George Foreman that takes your fancy or another brand that catches your eye, having access to an indoor grill allows you to cook healthier, lower fat meals right through the winter. Added bonus? It's a cinch to prepare all that protein on your paleo, low-carb or high-protein diet.
2. Blender: Want to know one of the top secrets of healthy eaters? They enjoy a homemade, antioxidant-rice smoothie to kick-start their day. And, the secret to a good smoothie? A good blender. Simply put, a good-quality blender (think a Vitamix or NutriBullet) can make your life healthier in more ways then one. It can pulvarize fresh ingredients (including kale, ginger, fruit and other veggies) to make vitamin and mineral-packed smoothies. It can whir frozen fruits, veggies and ice to create slushy smoothies (we're looking ahead to summer). And it can even create healthy homemade soups, fresh sauces and vinaigrettes in a flash. (And if you stray from your diet you can always use it to make a killer margarita.)
3. Various Sizes of Tupperware: Healthy eating can be a drain on our time. So, if you want to stick to your resolutions it's a great idea to pre-chop a ton of fruit and veggies on the weekend and store them in air tight containers. This way you have access to ready-to-go veggies perfect for snacking, lunches, salads and healthy sides. Added bonus? Reusable containers are perfect for packing a healthy lunch each day.
4. Food Scale: A food scale will allow you to eat precise portions, a must if you are really going to eat healthy and reduce your calorie and fat intake.
→ Want more reasons to love your scale? We've got 4 for you here in our article 4 Reasons Every Kitchen Needs a Scale
5. Meal Planner: Whether you mark it on the calendar, buy a healthy cookbook that will plan your meals for you, or load an App you can refer to, a meal planner will make sure you are not left without a a quick and easy dinner recipe. It is far more tempting to cheat when you fail to have a plan in place for what you will eat each day. A meal planner will allow you to mark out your meals so you know what ingredients you will need when you go grocery shopping as well.
6. BluApple: This handy little product is designed to remove excess ethylene gas from your fridge. You will be eating far more fruit and veggies for your healthy diet and you want them to stay fresh as long as possible. Simply place a BluApple in your crisper drawer and it will help remove ethylene gas and keep your produce fresher, longer.
7. Green Pots and Pans: You might not realize that the pots and pans you are using are adding unhealthy toxins in small doses into your food. Look for green pots and pans that are free of petroleum. Added bonus? Petroleum-free coatings will allow you to use less oil in your cooking and therefore reduce your fat intake.
8. Steamer/Poacher: A healthy diet should include more fish and fresh veggies. Look for a steamer/poacher that will allow you to poach fish and steam fresh veggies for fast and easy weeknight meals.
→ Check out our healthy Gadget and Apps to give yourself a better chance with your healthy start.