Stock your pantry with these 10 items and be ultra-prepared for the holidays!
by Amanda Walsh
Tap and hold image to save to your device
As the holiday season sneaks up on you your shopping becomes more and more frenzied. This can make it even easier to forget some key ingredients that make your holiday meals and entertaining special. With this in mind we have put together a list of 10 items to stock in your pantry so you are well prepared for the holiday season:
- Stock: Having stock in your pantry is important as it can assist you with a number of holiday musts from gravy and sauces to a hearty soup you can serve for your holiday lunch. If you are planning to serve turkey purchase some turkey pieces ahead of time and roast them with onions, carrots and celery to make a homemade stock. You can freeze it so it is ready for your holiday turkey dinner.
- Nuts: For some reason nuts are a holiday ingredient that is easy to forget. Nuts are used in baking as well as many stuffing recipes. You can also prepare your own cocktail nut mix to serve when entertaining. Beware of guests with nut allergies and provide them with treats filled with healthy pumpkin seeds instead.
- Eggs: You will go through eggs much quicker during the holidays much due to your extra baking and the fact the kids are home for breakfast. Be sure to keep your fridge well stocked with eggs because this is the kind of item that can disappear. It is also an ingredient that we often assume we have until we open the carton and discover one forlorn egg looking up at us.
- Cranberries: These ruby red berries are like the poster child for the holidays. You can use them for everything from loaves to sauces and chutneys to decorating cakes and even making garland for the tree.
- Chocolate: Stock up on a variety of baking chocolate including white. You will be baking up a storm and having an assortment of baking chocolate will make it easy to decide to make an extra batch of brownies or a special cake to bring along to a last minute party invitation.
→ Love chocolate? CHeck out our Chocolate 101 section!
- Bakers’ Decorations: Take a trip to the Bulk Barn and take a look at all of the fun holiday bakers’ decorations they stock during the holidays. This will allow you to prepare gorgeous cakes and cookies ideal for Santa and entertaining. Be sure to grab some meringue powder for your sugar cookie frosting and a good solid glue when decorating your gingerbread house.
- Wine: The holidays are made for entertaining. They are also the season of the pop in guest. Be prepared with a few bottles of nice wine so you have something to offer people. It is also a good idea to have some set aside for your holiday cooking.
- Molasses: This isn’t a common ingredient everyone keeps in their pantry but it comes in handy during the holidays. You will need it for your gingerbread recipes as well as many other holiday desserts. It is also used in many muffin and loaf recipes.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar is another item you will need. From cakes and cookies to candied yams, you will want to have this extra rich sugar on hand. It is also a perfect addition to hot apple cider and mulled cranberry juice.
- Icing Sugar: Icing sugar can work well in a number of ways. First it is a must for all of your frostings and glazes for cookies and cakes. Second it is perfect to sprinkle on top of desserts that might have cracked during baking. It will hide the imperfections.
Of course there will be other specialty ingredients you will have to stock based on your recipes. These are just 10 common staples that are used more frequently during the holiday season.
→ Check out all of our holiday recipes and articles in our HOLIDAY 101 section!